Thursday, March 12, 2015

Spring Robin Egg Carton Candy Box


C (age 8) wanted a "new" craft to celebrate spotting of our first robins of spring.  Since I already had empty egg carton cut apart for making simple little nests (I haven't decided yet if they're going to be part of a spring centerpiece on the table, or if I'll set them around the house in odd little spots, to see how long it takes the children to notice them - but they're making terribly happy in a springy kind of way)...


...I decided the simplest thing to do would be to use some of the left-overs, and modify Paper, Plate, and Plane's Easter egg carton chicks into robins. 


I wasn't sure exactly how it was going to come together, so I pre-cut construction paper beaks, and wings in a couple of different sizes for C to choose from.  She colored the extra egg carton cups, one for the bottom of her robin, colored brown, except for an orange circle on the front...


...and the other one, for the head, colored completely brown.  She taped them together, with one piece of clear tape, on the side opposite the orange circle...


...glued the beak (two yellow triangles with the flat sides folded out)...


...and some googly eyes to the head...


...and wings to the top edge of the bottom, as shown...


...then filled it up with candy for a finishing touch...


...to which the teens remarked, "Ew!  Your putting eggs inside the robin?  That's a little too homesch-eeew-l."  Teens are a lot of of fun, but enjoy early, and mid childhood while it lasts.


Trust me, it's great to have an eight year old.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

I have a couple of egg cartons just sitting around waiting to be made into crafts.

MaryAnne said...

These are really cute!

claireshomeeducation said...

It's fabulous having any age but there is definitely something about the excitement of the younger years which is incredibly endearing as a home-schooler.
I love this activity but had to laugh at your teen's response. It wouldn't have occurred to me that the eggs were actually inside the chick (which of course they are). Maybe I'm an 8 year old in a forty year old's body...?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I so agree - 8 year olds rock, even if they can be also very trying sometimes :)