Saturday, September 11, 2010

What My Child is Reading - September 11, 2010



We had a strange, hodge-podgy sort of reading week, with far too many, truly terrific books to mention in one post. But, I did want to recommend a few.

First of all, we finished off our bat theme, with a couple of cute-ish math stories by Kathi Appelt. Bats Around the Clock, deals with telling time to the hour, and Bat Jamboree, is a number pattern, and addition book.


I've already mentioned several of the constellation themed books we checked out (click, here, to find the list). I can recommend them all, but our favorite was Chris Sasaki's Constellations, A Glow-in-the-Dark Guide to the Night Sky. The write-ups are clear, and interesting, and contain both the history of the Greek myths behind the constellations, as well what the native peoples, of both sides of the globe, have seen in them, too.

The illustrations, of the pictures represented by the stars, are outstanding, and contain glow-in-the-dark-stars. In the time it takes to read a page, the stars have absorbed enough light, so you can take a look at the picture, then turn off the light, and let the picture fall away, leaving the glowing stars. It's a very nice effect.



Finally, we checked out a couple of recommended books from other sites.

The Wheat Doll by Alison L. Randall, was recommended by Ticia, at Adventures in Mommydom, and we found it just as sweet, as she promised. I had guessed the ending, but still found myself swallowing (happy) tears.

If you're at all tenderhearted, you might want to leave this one for your husband to read to the children. But, don't leave it unread. It is very good, and lends itself nicely to a doll making project.



We did not make dolls though, but rather sock puppets, for dusting baseboards, following a tutorial from Christianne at Little Page Turners.



...to go along with a couple of rhyming stories by Jan Thomas.

Little Page Turners were not able to get their hands on these books, but we, happily, found them at our library, and can recommend them to anyone with a preschooler in their house. The simple lessons in rhyming words, had my four year old giggling, and guffawing all the way through.


And, thanks to Christianne's project suggestion, we now have the cleanest baseboards in town (or at least, we're on our way).



For more children's book recommendations, and reviews, check out the What My Child Is Reading blog hop, hosted by Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I have to check those bat books. So, I take it, puppets helped cleaning baseboards?

April said...

That is a hodge podge list but they all seem like good books. Any books that can help with cleaning sounds good to me!

Christy Killoran said...

We picked up Bats Around the Clock from the library today. I can't wait to read it.

We have read the dust bunnies books and we like them too. I also have plans to make sock puppets soon. My baseboards could certainly use a dusting!

Debbie said...

I am going to look for those last two books, and oh Selena is so into sock puppets, this will be a great treat for her, well and for me to her to help dusting.

Unknown said...

My kids are reading wikipedia and Battletech Manuals right now.

but I might have them dust baseboards!

LitLass said...

Great list! My 7-year-old would love the constellations book.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Those Dust Bunny books are so fun! I love your socks.