Saturday, March 20, 2010

What My Child is Reading - March 20, 2010



We read a few St. Patrick's Day books at the beginning of the week, though nothing stellar, or exciting. However, we did enjoy a number of non-holiday books.
I've already posted about Patricia Polacco's Thunder Cake, and Jan Peck's The Giant Carrot. The children enjoyed both books, but since I can do a better hillbilly, than a babushka impersonation, I had more fun with The Giant Carrot.

We read a couple of titles by Eileen Spinelli:

Someday, a dream-like story following a young girl, imagining the future, while still appreciating the present,


And, How To Clean Your Room. I had hoped, this playful pop-up book might inspire the older girls into action. They enjoyed the story, and the pop-ups, but they didn't clean their room.


Finally, after seeing my post, earlier this week, my youngest son went to his room, and returned with Judith Viorst's book for me to read to him. I don't know if it was the book, or having a snugly seven year to read it to, but the day did seem better.

For more of what parents are reading with their children, check out this week's What My Child Is Reading link up, at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

It's the snuggly seven year old. Snuggly kids always make my day better.

Brimful Curiosities said...

We read Spinelli's Silly Tilly about a month ago. Time to check out a few more of her books.

Debbie said...

Someday sounds like a cute book!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Too funny about How To Clean Your Room. This reminds me to get off the computer and go clean up the debris left from Hurricane Anna. She always turns her room upside down during her supposed nap. I always like your choices and how you manage to find something that would appeal to kids of different ages.